14 September 2015

Silverbeet & Bacon Tart

Kale is the family favourite. So when it dawned on us that kale's positioning on the Brassica branch may be the cause of our little one's GI issues, I was at a lost. What other green vegetables are there?  More specifically, what green vegetables not of the Brassica family and are cookable (because raw greens are "yucky") are there?  Sadly, after scouting several Sydney grocery stores for several weeks, only two readily available non-Brassica vegetables were identified: silverbeet (also known as chard) and spinach. I personally love spinach, but it does occasionally cause "spinach tongue", which I'm pretty sure is why "spinach is yucky" as well.  

Left with silverbeets, I endeavoured on another attempt to change the family's opinion of this vegetable. Scouting of recipes gave me two ideas: (1) Silverbeet and feta gozleme and (2) silverbeet and bacon pie.  Bacon makes everything better :)  
For the crust, I consulted out my trusty baking book:  "The Essential Baking Cookbook" published by Murdoch Books. The only substitution was the replacement of 3/4 of the 1.25 cup plain four with wholemeal flour.

The filling was based on a much slimmed down ingredient list from Kidspot:
- 1 bunch silverbeet
- 1 packet middle bacon, rind removed
- 1/2 block Liddell lactose free cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup soy milk

I was pleasantly surprised by the result: that the little one actually liked it!  The points that won the family over were:
*  That it wasn't "eggy" (the use of 4 instead of 5 eggs likely helped)
*  The homemade buttery crust (from my experience, it's always much miles better than store-bought frozen ones)
*  And, of course, the bacon!

Silverbeet and Bacon Tart

No comments:

Post a Comment