17 September 2015

corn tortillas

Some months ago, we obtained a large bag of masa to make tamales (a successful cooking adventure that, sadly, didn't make it to the blog). Though many tamales were made, we barely used half of the 2 kg bag.  Here and there I would make cornbread, but I was looking for a new adventure.  Serendipitously, I'd recently bought some jalapeƱos from the shops (on impulse) to make tacos, but had forgotten to pick up tortillas. As I fret over when I can make another trip to the shops, I thought it may be easier to make the tortillas ... using the masa! Yes, the excuse of it being easier is really just an excuse for another cooking adventure :) 

The Kitchn has a fantastic piece on making corn tortillas using masa harina and it was the recipe I followed.  Unconventionally, for me, I followed the recipe exactly this time. The recipe was delightfully simple.  The challenge for me was the lack of a tortilla press, which I made do with a sandwich press!  I did have to further flatten the dough with a rolling pin, but it was relatively easy. I do love the smell of masa... 

It turned out great! The first tortilla was noticeably too thick, hence the rolling pin. Overall, the tortillas were slightly drier than the ones from the shops... but those are generally not 100% corn (usually mixture of corn and wheat flour).  With the compliment "these are the best tortillas I've had since leaving America", I would say it's definitely worth making again :) 

ball of masa between ziplock plastic, ready to be flattened

flattened masa


rolling pin action was required to further flatten dough

homemade corn tortillas



No comments:

Post a Comment